Tourist sights and visitor attractions in Santiago
Here is a list of the main sights and places of interest in . We have only included what we consider to be the most important, or tourist relevant, sites. They are in no particular order and we will add to and ammend the list over time. If you have any suggestions regarding buildings, squares or monuments that you think we should include, let us know.
Any bold and underlined text, is a link that will take you to a page about the building or square in question.
Santiago's Monumental buildings
Below is a list of the main tourist attracting buildings in the old district.
4. San Martin Pinario Monastery
5. The Monastery of Santo Domingo de Bonaval
7. The Convent of Santa Clara
8. Casa de la Parra
10. Collegiate church of Sar
Here are some structures that are not actually buildings, but may be of some interest anyway.
1. There is a significant stone monument to Rosalia de Castro in the main park or square called the alameda.
2. A large statue of the Archbishop Ventura Figueroa lies close to the university.
3. There is a statue welcoming pilgrims to the city.
4. A large stone cross or "cruceiro" is sited a short distance from the cathedral. (See photo right)
5. There is an ornimental fountain (fuente de los Caballos) close to the Chapterhouse building
Squares and plazas
1. Plaza del Obradoiro (picture right)
2. Plaza de la Azabacheria
3. Plaza de la Quintana
4. Plaza de las Platerias (right)
5. Plaza de Cervantes
6. Plaza del Torral
7. Plaza do Mazarelos
8. Plazuela de Fonseca
9. Plaza de la Universidad
10. Patio de San Juan (in the Hostal de los Reyes Catolicos)
Please be aware that the above list is far from complete and that there are literally dozens of buildings, monuments and icons to see in Santiago de Compostela. The streets of the old town alone contain many interesting and historic buildings that, whilst now shops, bars, cafes and restaurants at ground level, have imposing upper levels that have not changed for centuries.